The NHS Confederation is the membership organisation that brings together, supports and speaks for the whole healthcare system in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Integration and partnership working are the driving force of healthcare. We promote collaboration and partnership working as the key to improving population health, delivering high-quality care and reducing health inequalities.
This is our central focus. We support integration across our membership, connecting different parts of the health and care system to share learning and develop solutions to shared challenges.
The members we represent employ over 1.5 million staff, care for more than 1 million patients a day and control £150 billion of public expenditure.
We support our members in three main ways:
We represent organisations and sectors, to ensure local organisations and systems work in the best interests of service users, citizens and staff.
We connect the whole healthcare system, to boost system working and develop solutions to shared challenges.
We support leaders to develop and hone their leadership skills, equipping leaders with tools, ideas and insights and connecting them with a community of leaders.
Our members include:
- In England: acute, mental health, community and ambulance NHS trusts; independent and voluntary sector providers; primary care networks and federations; integrated care systems and clinical commissioning groups.
- In Wales: integrated local health boards, trusts and special health authorities.
- In Northern Ireland: health and social care trusts.
In England we also:
- Run NHS Employers, which supports the health service in its role as the nation’s largest employer.
- Host the NHS Race and Health Observatory, which is working to tackle ethnic inequalities in health and care.
- Support our members to embed equality, diversity and inclusion into their service planning through our three diversity networks: BME Leadership Network, Health and Care Women Leaders Network, Health and Care LGBTQ+ Leaders Network.
- Host the NHS European Office, which is the conduit for the NHS to engage with the European Union.
As a member of the NHS Confederation, you benefit from access to our extensive networks and forums, influential advocacy and analysis, and best practice and tools.
Find out more
We provide support and a voice for acute trusts and integrated providers, supporting you in your leadership role at place level and within systems.
Supporting trusts and not-for-profit organisations that provide NHS community health services.
Integrated Care Systems Network
The only national network bringing together the leaders of health and care systems.
Mental Health Network
The voice of NHS-funded mental health and learning disability service providers and commissioners in England.
NHS Clinical Commissioners
Supporting clinical commissioners to get the best healthcare and health outcomes for local communities.
Welsh NHS Confederation
The only national membership body representing all the organisations making up the NHS in Wales.
Northern Ireland Confederation for Health and Social Care
The voice of organisations in the integrated health and social care system in Northern Ireland.
NHS European Office
Providing the essential link between European policy and legislation and NHS organisations.
Partner with us
We work with organisations that are important to the future strength and prosperity of the healthcare sector. Our associate partners, non-NHS organisations that work with and supply services to the NHS, are a valuable part of the health and care sector and provide some of the most innovative and essential services.