What we do
The NHS Confederation is the membership organisation that brings together, supports and speaks for the whole healthcare system in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Integration and partnership working are the driving force of healthcare. We promote collaboration and partnership working as the key to improving population health, delivering high-quality care and reducing health inequalities.
This is our central focus. We support integration across our membership, connecting different parts of the health and care system to share learning and develop solutions to shared challenges.
The members we represent employ over 1.5 million staff, care for more than 1 million patients a day and control £150 billion of public expenditure.
We support our members in three main ways:
We represent organisations and sectors, to ensure local organisations and systems work in the best interests of service users, citizens and staff.
We connect the whole healthcare system, to boost system working and develop solutions to shared challenges.
We support leaders to develop and hone their leadership skills, equipping leaders with tools, ideas and insights and connecting them with a community of leaders.
Our members include:
- In England: acute, mental health, community and ambulance NHS trusts; independent and voluntary sector providers; primary care networks and federations; integrated care systems and clinical commissioning groups.
- In Wales: integrated local health boards, trusts and special health authorities.
- In Northern Ireland: health and social care trusts.
In England we also:
- Run NHS Employers, which supports the health service in its role as the nation’s largest employer.
- Host the NHS Race and Health Observatory, which is working to tackle ethnic inequalities in health and care.
- Support our members to embed equality, diversity and inclusion into their service planning through our three diversity networks: BME Leadership Network, Health and Care Women Leaders Network, Health and Care LGBTQ+ Leaders Network.
- Host the NHS European Office, which is the conduit for the NHS to engage with the European Union.
As a member of the NHS Confederation, you benefit from access to our extensive networks and forums, influential advocacy and analysis, and best practice and tools.
Find out more
Supporting the healthcare sector to improve population health, deliver high-quality care and reduce health inequalities.
Networks & countries
We meet the specific needs of different parts of our membership across the UK and Europe through our various networks and support programmes.
We work closely with the government, parliament and national stakeholders to influence positive change on behalf of our members.
Partner with us
We work with organisations that are important to the future strength and prosperity of the healthcare sector. Our associate partners, non-NHS organisations that work with and supply services to the NHS, are a valuable part of the health and care sector and provide some of the most innovative and essential services.
Find out more about how our our experts can help you with commercial and partnership tailored healthcare event sponsorship packages.