We have produced a new set of recommendations for organisations to support LGBTQ+ staff through COVID-19 and beyond.
The recommendations, which we have jointly produced with the Mental Health Network, are to help healthcare leaders, service designers and commissioners ensure their services and workplaces meet the needs of the LGBTQ+ population, and for the LGBTQ+ population to recover and thrive after the pandemic.
The following recommendations originated from a roundtable of healthcare leaders and a consultation with the members of our Health and Care LGBTQ+ Leaders Network.
1. Create visible leadership and confident staff
2. Create a strong knowledge base
3. Be non-heteronormative and non-cisnormative in everything you do
4. Take responsibility for collecting and reporting data
5. Listen to your service users
6. Proactively seek out partners to co-deliver services
Read them in more detail by downloading our infographic on the left-hand side of this page.
View a pdf of the recommendations.
We have identified eight pilot sites from across the country to start implementing the recommendations over the next year. The sites are:
• West London NHS Trust
• The Christie NHS Foundation Trust
• Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust
• University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust
• Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
• Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
• NHS Surrey Heartlands Clinical Commissioning Group
• Northern Care Alliance
We will follow their progress closely and produce an implementation framework at the end of the pilot period.
Chair of the network, Peter Molyneux, has written a blog on the need for the recommendations and why they should be implemented and embedded in organisations across health and care.