Coronavirus (COVID-19) is the greatest challenge the health service has faced in its 70-year history.
To support our members, we are actively engaging with developments, representing members' views and focusing our efforts on where there will be greatest use during the pandemic.
This section will be regularly updated. View the sections below for the latest information, guidance and support for health and care leaders across the country.
| “This must be about shielding the NHS so it can save lives – that has to be the number one priority. Our members are bracing themselves for the greatest challenge the health service has faced in its 70-year history. The government has set the right course; it is now up to all of us to follow the medical advice and do everything we can to reduce the impact, especially on the vulnerable.
“Staff will be under enormous pressure and we need to make sure they have all the resources they need. We will be working with senior leaders throughout the service including with HR teams to support the NHS workforce through these dark times.” Niall Dickson, Chief Executive, NHS Confederation, 16 March 2020
How we're supporting members
- Representing: We are gathering insights and capturing concerns from leaders across the system, raising key issues with decision-makers and ensuring a strong voice for NHS leaders. Get in touch with our regional team to share your views and experiences.
- Our senior leaders, including chief executive Niall Dickson, have been reflecting members' views and concerns across a number of media outlets. Ruth Rankine, for example, director of our PCN Network, has relayed concerns in primary care over personal protective equipment. Our COVID-19 press releases can be accessed from our media centre.
- Influencing: On members' behalf, we called for a temporary suspension of planned Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspections across health and care services. The CQC has now confirmed that routine inspections will be cancelled in response to the coronavirus outbreak.
- Supporting: NHS Employers, part of the NHS Confederation, has developed COVID-19 guidance for NHS workforce leaders.
- Our PCN Network and NHS Clinical Commissioners have produced guidance on how clinical commissioning groups can support primary care networks and practices in light of COVID-19.
- Informing: We assessed the COVID-19 Bill and plans from NHS England and NHS Improvement to increase bed capacity.
- Our COVID-19 daily member bulletin provides a run down of key developments and information on the outbreak, as well as member feedback on experiences on the ground.
National leadership, community response
COVID-19 is not simply a health crisis but also a social and economic one, stretching across every part of the UK. While the government is coordinating a national response, it is the relationships, resilience and resourcefulness of local communities that will define how we come through this.
We are working with national sector representative bodies including Universities UK, the Association of Colleges, the LEP Network, British BIDs and others to ensure that:
- our partners locally are clear about our sector’s immediate and longer term COVID-related needs and vice versa
- relationships are being made at the appropriate level, depending on the issue
- we can share and promote examples of sectors coming together to display place-based leadership.
We have already cascaded information and intelligence throughout these sectors and facilitated several local partnerships.
Please contact Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.