Submission to HM Treasury outlining what the health and care system needs to get back on track and transform services.
In late 2020, the government announced its intention to publish a Comprehensive Spending Review, setting out the government’s spending plans. However, due to the ongoing impact of COVID-19, it remains unclear whether the government will commit to a multi-year, or a one-year settlement.
After engaging with NHS leaders, the NHS Confederation has written a CSR submission to the Treasury outlining what the health and care system needs to get back on track and transform services.
- Health and care, and health inequality, should be at the heart of the Comprehensive Spending Review.
- COVID-19 means demand is up, capacity is down and waiting lists are spiralling.
- The NHS needs additional investment to stabilise, improve resilience and deliver long-term ambitions.
- The government must support the current workforce and improve future supply.
- We need a sustainable social care system, backed up by reform and a long-term funding settlement.
We have also produced a four-page summary of the full document.