"A strong NHS needs a strong economy"
An at-a-glance guide
The Conservative Party's manifesto pledges to:
- Commit to a minimum real-terms increase in NHS funding of £8 billion in the next five years, in line with the Five Year Forward View.
- Ring-fence the NHS budget during the next Parliament and increase spending in real terms every year over that period.
- Train and retain an extra 5,000 GPs.
Access to GPs and medical records
- Ensure seven-day access to GPs by 2020.
- Provide a named GP for every NHS patient.
- Extend GP opening times.
- Guarantee same-day GP appointments for all over 75s who need them.
- Promise that by April 2016, every patient in England will be able to access their own medical record online.
- Oversee a transition to a paperless NHS by 2016.
- Increase funding for mental health care.
- Enforce the new access and waiting time standards for people experiencing mental ill health, including children and young people.
- Implement a national, evidence-based diabetes prevention programme.
Access to medicines
- Implement the findings of the Innovative Medicines and Medical Technology Review.
Political parties' plans