Fixed term - 12 months with potential to extend
£28,045 Plus £4,000 London Weighting allowance if applicable.
About the role
As the Senior Policy and Programmes Officer you will:
- Provide policy and project support to Mental Health Network (MHN) member forums and wider team and be supported to develop your knowledge of mental health and learning disability policy.
- Help support the effective running of member forums and produce outputs to highlight and influence key issues for MHN members, while showcasing good practice.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships internally and with relevant partner organisations to ensure we understand issues that will impact on MHN members.
- Support the scoping, discussion and production of policy briefs, consultation responses and other products to agreed timetables and deadlines.
- Support the effective running of high-level meetings and events.
We would love to hear from you if you:
- Have an understanding of the current health and care landscape.
- Have a passion for improving mental health services, and an appetite and interest in building knowledge of policy areas within mental health and learning disabilities services.
- Can plan projects or work programmes and have proven experience of delivering work to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Hold experience of supporting high-level meetings.
- Can work with people with lived experience of mental health problems with compassion and understanding.
The NHS Confederation is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive environment for our staff. A place where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit. We offer a range of inclusive employment policies including family friendly policies and flexible working and we have range of channels to support staff from different backgrounds including our staff networks and a staff forum.
The NHS Confederation is committed to being a flexible employer. We understand the value and benefit to our employees being able to work flexibly and our agile working principles are designed to empower our people to work with optimal flexibility and minimal constraints to support a work life balance and take care of employee health and wellbeing.
You will receive an excellent benefits package, including 30 days annual leave (plus bank holidays), pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, salary sacrifice schemes and travel season ticket loans.
- Monitoring and maintaining knowledge of relevant policy developments and initiatives and understanding and communicating their implications for MHN members.
- Gathering and analysing information from a variety of sources to inform policy development and debate. This will include seeking input from members, NHS Confederation networks and external stakeholders.
- Supporting the scoping, discussion and production of policy briefings, consultation responses and other products to agreed timetables and deadlines.
- Support the effective running of high-level meetings and events, working with the wider organisation and events team where appropriate and identifying opportunities for commercial income.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with relevant partner organisations to ensure we understand issues that will impact on MHN members, and we can influence on behalf of them.
- Providing advice, policy content and speaker suggestions for events.
- Drafting member-facing products such as slide packs, blogs and articles related to policy updates and developments.
- Representing MHN at external stakeholder meetings and events.
- Attending member meetings to present policy work and canvass member views.
- An understanding of the current health and care landscape.
- Ability to plan projects or work programmes, and proven experience of delivering work to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Experience of supporting high-level meetings.
- An understanding of policy development, and how to influence public policy.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Ability to work with people with lived experience of mental health problems with compassion and understanding.
- Confidence to engage with senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritise and manage own workload and conflicting priorities.
- Ability to understand political and organisational sensitivities.
- Proven experience of effective team working and building positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent computer skills (including MS Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint).
1. Knowledge and experience of mental health and learning disability policy.
2. Experience of working in a member organisation.
Completed application forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an informal discussion about the post and the NHS Confederation before applying please contact email@example.com.
We particularly welcome applications from individuals from Black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds.
Application deadline: Sunday 5 December 2021
Interview date: Monday 13 December and Tuesday 14 December 2021
All applications must be received by 11.59pm on the day of the closing date unless specified. If your application is late, for whatever reason, there is no guarantee that we will be able to consider it.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to each applicant in person. Therefore, if you have not heard from us within three week of the closing date, your application has not been successful.