Cabinet reshuffle: implications for the NHS
17 / 02 / 2020
This briefing provides an update on key changes at the Department of Health and Social Care and across government following the Cabinet reshuffle in February 2020. It also considers the implications for the health service and what happens next.
- Given the challenges facing the health sector, the continuity of leadership presented by Matt Hancock’s reappointment as health and social care secretary is welcome.
- With a strong majority in government and continuity of leadership at the Department for Health and Social Care, there is no excuse for failing to address these challenges – particularly social care – at the earliest opportunity.
- The appointment of a new Chancellor has implications for health. With a change in leadership, the Treasury may signal a more ambitious Budget, particularly on national infrastructure, and perhaps for health and social care.
- The new Chancellor’s experience as a local government minister could provide helpful insight in the coming months when the government, and by extension the Chancellor, looks to find a long-term solution to social care.
- The government is yet to confirm whether the Budget will take place on 11 March.