06 / 03 / 2013
The NHS faces an unprecedented financial dilemma: the supply of funding is struggling to match the growing rate of demand for healthcare. This factsheet shows the scale of the financial challenge for the NHS.
This factsheet covers the following areas:
- how the NHS is funded and how the current funding settlement compares to earlier periods in its history
- the distribution of funding to the various parts of the system
- funding variations, in terms of treatment areas, procedures and regions
- the implications of the Private Finance Initiative (PFI)
- budget management across the NHS
- progress made on the challenge to deliver efficiency
- the impact of rising demand for services on healthcare costs.