The Mental Health Policy Group - a coalition of six organisations working together for better mental health, launches the Manifesto for Better Mental Health as the new Prime Minister takes up post.
The Mental Health Network is a founding member of the Mental Health Policy Group which is also made up of colleagues from Mind, Rethink Mental Illness, Royal College of Psychiatrists, Mental Health Foundation and the Centre for Mental Health.
With the new Prime Minister now decided, it’s vitally important he establish a clear direction for mental health policy. Whilst Brexit still dominates much of the wider political debate, the group want to make sure that mental health remains high on the agenda. This manifesto focuses on five key asks of the new Prime Minister:
- Take action to prevent mental illness
- Create a cross-government plan for mental health and establish a ‘mental health in all policies’ approach across government
- Reform the Mental Health Act
- Ensure everyone can access the right mental health support, in the right place, at the right time
- Build a mental health workforce fit for the future
The group want to see the new government re-commit to the ambitions of the NHS Long Term Plan as well as a funding settlement post 2020 which will provide vital increases in investment for mental health services.
You can read the full manifesto here.