Leeds (hybrid home/office working)
Permanent, full time
£36,150 to £39,275 (FTE) – depending on experience
About the Role
Would you like to work for a charity that empowers and supports the NHS?
Would you like to be part of a friendly and supportive finance team?
Due to internal promotion within the finance team, we are now looking for our next Finance Manager.
To be successful in this role you will have an advanced understanding of accounting principles and techniques, be able to manage month end and year end processes with limited supervision, have a comprehensive understanding of VAT and tax issues and have excellent IT skills specifically on finance systems and Microsoft Excel. Our ideal candidate will be a finance professional with at least 3 years’ experience managing a finance function.
Charity experience and knowledge of the charity SORP is desirable but not essential.
The NHS Confederation is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive environment for our staff. A place where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit. We offer a range of inclusive employment policies including family friendly policies and flexible working and we have range of channels to support staff from different backgrounds including our staff networks and a staff forum.
The NHS Confederation is committed to being a flexible employer. We understand the value and benefit to our employees being able to work flexibly to respond to changing circumstances and we want to ensure we do as much as possible to help support a work life balance and take care of employee health and wellbeing.
You will receive an excellent benefits package, including 30 days annual leave (with option to buy 5 more), pension scheme (we contribute 6% to your 3%), flexible working, death in service (4 times annual salary), salary sacrifice schemes, travel season ticket loans, and funding for training and development.
The Finance Manager leads on all financial accounting matters affecting the charity. This includes the production of the annual financial statements for the charity and managing the transactional functions of the purchase and sales ledger teams.
A key part of the role is ensuring that there are efficient and effective processes, policies and controls in place in relation to the financial ledgers, that ensures the protection of the charity’s funds, and allows the management accounts function to produce meaningful financial reports to the business units.
- Lead the planning cycle for delivery of the financial statements in accordance with the governance framework and timetable; engaging with key stakeholders both internal and external where appropriate.
- Ensure that the charity statement of recommended practice (SORP) is followed when compiling the accounts for review, and all other relevant guidance is considered in relation to the charity’s responsibilities.
- Contribute to the further development of the financial systems and wider business unit needs by becoming a system expert in IRIS Financials, and suggesting and implementing improvements to this
- Ensure the Asset Register is maintained throughout the year to support the completion of the financial statements.
- Responsible for the accurate and timely production of the monthly P&L and balance sheet, including the timely and accurate reconciliation of balance sheet accounts
- Responsible for month end and year end processes including prepayments, accruals, and ledger close.
- Liaise with and prepare information for internal and external auditors.
- Design and implement effective banking procedures, liaising with the Relationship Support Manager at the charity’s bank.
- Regularly review procedures to ensure they are in line with best practice helping to protect the organisation from fraud.
- Prepare the cashflow forecast each month to ensure we have the appropriate amount of working capital to meet the charity’s immediate needs for payments of suppliers and other liabilities
- Support Sales Ledger Assistant with debt chasing, holding monthly debt reviews with them and the Head of Financials Accounts & Contracts
- Ensure all Standing Orders, Standing Financial Instructions, policies, and procedures are up to date, reviewed regularly, and followed by staff, escalating to the Head of Financials Accounts & Contracts where there is non-compliance.
- Be the lead contact in relation to all tax issues affecting the charity. This includes completion of the quarterly VAT return, VAT related contract issues, corporation tax and employment taxes. This will require regular attendance at tax related seminars.
- Lead on internal staff communications, such as updating finance pages on the intranet and holding finance workshops
- Check all staff expenses claims submitted to ensure they comply with policy and provide appropriate challenge where they are not.
- Ensure payroll related payments are set up in the bank to clear on time (payroll is processed by the HR team)
- Deliver finance induction for new staff and budget holders.
- Any other duties, commensurate with the grade and nature of this post.
Responsible for the effective line management of two Finance Assistant posts including recruitment, performance management and employee development in line with the organisations Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Accountancy qualification e.g. ACA, ACCA, CIMA, or working towards a qualification, having passed the equivalent of CIMA Operational level.
- Demonstrable experience within a finance/accounting function
- Proven ability to run month end and year end processes with limited supervision
- Extensive experience of using financial systems
- Demonstrable advanced understanding of accounting principles and techniques and how to apply these
- Excellent Excel skills including lookups and pivot tables.
- Excellent analytical skills to support reconciliation tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong written and verbal communication skills and an ability to clearly communicate financial matters to non-financial staff.
- Comprehensive understanding of VAT and tax issues affecting charities
- Experience of working in a finance role in an NHS or Charity setting
- Charity accounts and use of SORP guidance
- Experience of IRIS (PS) Financials, Selenity Expenses
Complete the application form.
Please note we do not accept CVs. If you require the application form in another format please contact us.
Completed application forms should be emailed to job applications.
If you wish to discuss the post before applying, then please contact Hannah Matthews or 07483 091 569.
All applications must be received by 11.59pm on the day of the closing date unless specified. If your application is late, for whatever reason, there is no guarantee that we will be able to consider it.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to each applicant in person. Therefore, if you have not heard from us within three week of the closing date, your application has not been successful.