27 / 06 / 2017
Adult inpatient survey 2016
Care Quality Commission, May 2017
The CQC’s new survey of adults using inpatient services received almost 78,000 responses from those aged 16 and over who were subject to at least one overnight stay in hospital during July 2016. 75 per cent of respondents rated their overall experience as 8 or more out of 10 (including 28 per cent who awarded it the full mark, one percentage point more than 2015), the same proportion as the previous survey.
Key findings (with results from previous years also provided where appropriate) from this new survey relating to waiting list and planned admissions include the following:
- Only 27 per cent of the respondents in hospital for an elective procedure confirmed that they were offered a choice for their first appointment (compared to 29 in 2011 and 28 in 2015). However the survey also found that only 11 of the remaining 73 per cent stated they would have liked to be able to choose, the same as 2015.
- 73 per cent of those admitted from the waiting list agreed there were “admitted as soon as I thought was necessary”, two percentage points lower than 2015. Meanwhile 10 per cent felt they “should have been admitted a lot sooner”, one percentage point more than 2015.
- 83 per cent felt the specialist had “definitely” been provided with sufficient information about their condition by the person that referred them, the same as last year.
Moving on to results about the hospital and wards, these include:
- 61 per cent remained on the same ward throughout their stay in hospital, one percentage point lower than 2015.
- 98 per cent felt their hospital room or ward was either ‘very clean’ (72) or ‘fairly clean’ (26). The two proportions were the same as 2015, but markedly different from ten years earlier, when only 54 per cent felt their room or ward was ‘very clean’.
Among the findings in relation to doctors and nurses were:
- 83 per cent stated they ‘always’ had confidence and trust in the doctors treating them, one percentage point higher than 2015. 80 per cent felt the same about the nurses, again one percentage point more than the previous year.
- 61 per cent felt there were ‘always or nearly always enough nurses’ on duty, one percentage point down on 2015, but also still five percentage points higher than 2006.
Key findings in connection with care and treatment include:
- 90 per cent felt they were ‘definitely’ (56) or ‘to some extent’ (34) involved sufficiently in decisions, compared to 91 (59 and 32 respectively) in 2015.
- 73 per cent ‘always’ had confidence in decisions made about condition or treatment, one percentage point lower than the previous year.
- 80 per cent regarded the information provided to them as ‘the right amount’, again one percentage point down on 2015.
- 77 per cent felt they were ‘always’ afforded sufficient privacy when discussing their condition or treatment and 91 per cent felt the same about the privacy provided during examination or treatment.
Results in relation to operations and procedures include:
- Of the c46,800 respondents who underwent an operation or procedure, 83 per cent felt they had risks and benefits ‘completely’ explained, the same as 2015.
- 69 per cent felt they had ‘completely’ received a clear explanation of how the procedure or operation had gone afterwards, again in line with 2015.
The last section relates to leaving hospital. Among the results were:
- 85 per cent felt involved in decisions about their discharge (55 ‘definitely’ and 30 ‘to some extent’).
- Only 56 per cent felt they were ‘definitely’ afforded sufficient notice of their discharge, one percentage point lower than 2015.
- 41 per cent were subject to a delay – of those cases, 61 per cent related to waiting for medicines.
- 80 per cent stated they had ‘definitely’ (55) or ‘to some extent’ (25) received enough support from health and care professionals to enable recovery and condition management. This compares to 81 (57 and 24 respectively) in 2015.
- 83 per cent felt that hospital staff had taken their ‘family or home situation into account’ during discharge planning, either ‘completely’ (62) or ‘to some extent’ (21). These results were the same as last year.